This roasted asparagus recipe is quick, easy, and the perfect side dish to accompany any meal. We’re sharing our tips for the best roasted asparagus plus a mouth-watering southwestern cream sauce recipe to serve with it.
It’s always nice to have easy side dishes that go with lots of different main dishes and this roasted asparagus is one of our favorites. Both the asparagus and the creamy southwestern sauce are ready in about 15 minutes.
How toPrep Asparagus
Asparagus is a delicious and healthy side dish and it’s important to prep the asparagus first so you get tender-crisp asparagus once it’s cooked. This is how you prep your asparagus for roasting.
First, trim the bottom to remove the woody ends and peel any tough skin from the stalk You want to remove the woody and tough parts otherwise your asparagus will be stringy and tough once it’s cooked. Use a knife to trim the ends and a vegetable peeler and remove the tough outer skin of each asparagus stalk. You want to still leave about the top 2 inches untouched.
How to Roast Asparagus
Step 1: Prepare the Oven
Recipe Tips and Suggestions
- For extra flavor, sprinkle the stalks with garlic salt before you roast them to add a more garlicy taste.
- You can make the southwestern cream sauce ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator. This will further develop the flavors.
- The cream sauce is also delicious on other roasted vegetables like potatoes, butternut squash, brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
Now that you have learned a new Chugwater Chili Recipe, who will you share it with?
Roasted Asparagus with Creamy Southwestern Sauce
- One bunch asparagus, the thicker the stems, the better
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Chugwater Chili Southwest Style Seasoning
- One cup mayonnaise
- One cup buttermilk
How to cook Roasted Asparagus with Creamy Southwestern Sauce
- To start off you will need to place a rimmed baking sheet on an oven rack on the lowest position and heat the oven to 500 degrees. This gets your pan pre heated for roasting the asparagus on all sides.
- Now it is time to prep your asparagus for roasting. With a sharp knife, trim the bottom inch of the on bunch of asparagus preferably with thicker stems. This takes off a tougher part of the asparagus and leaves stalk that will become tender when roasting.
- To allow the asparagus to become more tender when roasting it is best to use a vegetable peeler and remove the tough outer skin of each asparagus stalk. You want to still leave about the top 2 inches untouched.
- Before the asparagus goes in the oven, drizzle the asparagus with about 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Put the asparagus on the heated rimmed baking sheet. Roast the asparagus in the oven for around 10 minutes or until it becomes tender.
- To make creamy sauce, whisk together 2 tablespoons of Chugwater Chili Dip & Dressing Mix , 1 cup mayonnaise, and 1 cup of buttermilk. Now set side to use one the asparagus has finished roasting.
- After the asparagus has roasted and become tender pull it from the oven. On a plate place several stalks of asparagus and drizzle the southwestern cream sauce onto the stalks. Now you are ready to enjoy this easy asparagus recipe!!!
Sat. Fat (grams)7.88
March 21, 2016
Oh yum! We love asparagus but have never thought to use Chili Southwest Style Seasoning to make a Southwest Style Dressing to go on it! Thanks for sharing. :)