When the weather is not right for the outdoor grill, cooking Flank Steak on the stove is a quick option. The lean cut of meat can be too gummy if it is marinated in an acid like vinegar, and it can be too chewy if it is cooked too long. Marinating with an oil base and cutting on the bias and against the grain are the keys to more tender slices of steak that go well topped on spicy greens or piled on crusty bread.
Chugwater Chili Steak Rub Flank Steak, Roasted Grape Tomatoes, and Feta Cheese Sandwich
1 pound Flank Steak
3 Tablespoons Chugwater Chili Steak Rub
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
1 Pint Grape Tomatoes
Additional Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
For the Flank Steak
1. Mix 3 Tablespoons Chugwater Chili Steak Rub and 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil.
2. Poke several holes in the Flank Steak with a fork.
3. Slather, wrap, and refrigerate the Flank Steak for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
4. Prior to cooking, set the Flank Steak on the counter for at least 30 minutes to shake off the chill. Scrape the marinade off of the Flank Steak to prevent burning.
6. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high to high heat. Place the Flank Steak on the skillet and cook for up to 4 minutes on each side or until the meat registers 125 degrees to 130 degrees. You may want to cook the Flank Steak into two pieces, and if a thicker cut of Flank Steak has been seared but the internal temperature is still below 125 degrees, you can put the Flank Steak on the skillet into the oven for 2-3 minutes. Make sure your skillet is oven-proof and use a pot holder.
7. Once the Flank Steak is cooked, place it on a cutting board and tent it with aluminum foil. Let it set, if you can, for at least 10 minutes so that the juices stay inside. Cut the Flank Steak on the bias and across the grain to cut the connective tissue for more tender bites.
For the Roasted Grape Tomatoes
1. Place a rack in the upper middle position and heat the oven to 475 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place washed grape tomatoes on it. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the skins brown and burst.
For the Sandwich
Slice the bun and place desired amount of Flank Steak, Roasted Grape Tomatoes, and Feta Cheese inside. Serves four.