This flank steak sandwich recipe is a combination of savory mouthwatering flavors. Tender flank steak flavored with our smoky and spicy steak rub paired with roasted tomatoes and feta cheese creates a hearty sandwich full of fresh flavors. This steak sandwich recipe will make your taste buds do a happy dance.
Steak sandwiches are a delicious meal you can make at home either on the grill on or the stove. The flank steak is marinated in a smoky-spicy marinade made with our low-sodium Steak Rub that is loaded with bold flavors.
How to Marinade Flank Steak
Flank steak has a wonderful flavor and is so tender as long as it’s prepared right. It’s a lean cut of meat that can turn gummy if it’s marinated in too much acid (like vinegar). Marinating the steak in an oil-based marinade will help ensure it’s tender and flavorful once it’s cooked.
This easy steak marinade enhances the flavor of the meat and takes just a few minutes to prepare.
- 3 Tablespoons Chugwater Chili Steak Rub
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
Mix the steak rub and oil together in a bowl. Place the steak in a shallow dish and poke several holes in it with a fork.
Coat the flank steak with the marinade on both sides, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
How to Cook Flank Steak
Prior to cooking, set the steak out at room temperature for 30 minutes so it will cook evenly. Blot the steak with paper towels (or scrape it off with a spatula) to remove the marinade, which will burn if left on while the steak is cooking.
Now we’re ready to cook the flank steak:
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high to high heat.
- Place the Flank Steak on the skillet and cook for up to 4 minutes on each side or until the meat registers 125 degrees F to 130 degrees F.
You may want to cook the Flank Steak into two pieces, and if a thicker cut of Flank Steak has been seared but the internal temperature is still below 125 degrees, you can transfer the steak into the oven for 2-3 minutes. Make sure your skillet is oven-proof and use a pot holder.
- Once the flank steak is cooked, place it on a cutting board and tent it with aluminum foil.
- Let it rest for at least 10 minutes so that the juices resettle and won’t run out when you slice it.
- Slice the steak on the bias and across the grain to cut the connective tissue for more tender bites.
How to Make the Roasted Tomatoes
Flank steak is delicious all on its own, but piling it on bread with some juicy roasted tomatoes turns it into a delicious steak sandwich.
While you’re cooking your steak, you can prepare the roasted tomatoes Here’s how you make them:
- Place grape tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle them with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes at 475 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the skins caramelize and burst.
How to Assemble and Serve the Flank Steak Sandwich
Pile the tender flank steak on slice buns, top with the roasted tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese. This recipe makes enough for four hearty sandwiches.
Here are some great side dish ideas that are great to serve with this steak sandwich.
- Seasoned Oven Fries
- Easy Chili Lime Pasta Salad
- Green Salad
- Spicy Grilled Corn
- Vegetable Slices
How to Make a Flank Steak Sandwich Video-
Looking for more ways to use our delicious Chugwater Chili Steak Rub? Here are a two more ideas to try: