This southwest chicken casserole is an easy-to-make meal any day of the week. Chili seasoned chicken paired with flavorful southwestern vegetables and topped with cheese creates an all-in-one meal that your family will enjoy.
Casseroles are a fun way to create an all-in-one meal that feeds the family. When the weather starts to cool down and schedules get busy it is nice to have an easy meal you can toss together, cook, and enjoy. That is why casseroles are such a fun dish to make. For most casseroles, you can just combine the ingredients in a baking dish or slow cooker. Then cook and enjoy.
This southwest chicken casserole is a fun and easy meal. Our chili seasoning is combined with corn, black beans, tomatoes, peppers, chicken, and pepper jack cheese to create a tasty meal.
Making the Corn and Black Bean Base
In a medium bowl mix together 1 can of whole kernel corn that has been drained, 1 can of black beans that have been rinsed and drained, 1 can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, ½ onion that has been diced, 1 bell pepper can be any color or a combination of colors that have been diced, and 2 tablespoons of Chugwater Chili Seasoning. If you want to add some heat, use our Chugwater Chili Hot Chili Seasoning.
Stir together and place the corn mixture in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Seasoning the Chicken Breasts
Season 4 thawed chicken breasts with the remaining 1 tablespoon of Chugwater Chili Seasoning. Make sure both sides of the chicken breasts are seasoned.
Place the seasoned chicken breasts on top of the corn mixture in the baking dish.
Hint: If you have smaller children you can dice the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces then season and add to the casserole. This will make it easier for you to serve them.
Baking the Chicken Casserole
Bake, covered at 425 degrees for 45 minutes.
Add 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese to the top.
Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through. You can test by slicing into the chicken breast to see if it is pink or not. If it is not pink you are good to eat it.
How to Serve Southwest Chicken Casserole
This is a great all-in-one dish that has both your main dish and side dish combined into it. All you need to do is serve a dessert with it and you are done. If you feel like it you can also add an extra side dish when serving like mixed fruit, a salad, or dinner rolls. This easy casserole will become a family favorite.
If you need an easy meal you can meal prep this casserole by creating the casserole ahead of time and freezing it then you can pull it out and bake when needed. If you bake it frozen you will need to bake it longer for around 1 hour and 30 minutes until the chicken has fully cooked.
There are so many possibilities when you have an easy casserole you can make. This southwest chicken casserole is one that you can add to your recipe collection and use whenever you feel you want a tasty and delicious treat.
Here are some more tasty Chugwater Chili recipes that you will enjoy!!!
Southwest Chicken Casserole
- 4 Chicken Breasts, thawed
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced, any color can even be mixed colors
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 3 tablespoons Chugwater Chili Seasoning
- 3 cups Pepper Jack Cheese
- Chopped cilantro, garnish
- In a medium bowl mix together the corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, and green chilies, onion, bell pepper, and 2 tablespoons of Chugwater Chili seasoning.
- Place corn mixture in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Season the chicken breasts with the remaining chili seasoning. Make sure both sides of the chicken breasts are seasoned.
- Place them on top of the corn mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake covered at 425 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese to the top.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through. You can test by slicing into the chicken breast to see if it is pink or not. If it is not pink you are good to eat it.
- Serve hot with your favorite dessert or salad.
Sat. Fat (grams)19.16
Note these are estimated nutritional values and might not be 100% accurate.
Leave a comment (all fields required)