This easy elk chili is the perfect dish to make anytime of the year and is one of our favorite ground venison recipes. It is a quick chili recipe flavored with our gourmet chili blend and is a flavorful and healthy meal for the family. Plus, it is a great treat during hunting season.
This easy chili has very few ingredients, but lots of big flavor. Our Chugwater Chili Gourmet Chili Blend is a mix of 12 spices, so you don’t need a lot of extra ingredients!
Venison Chili Ingredients
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped onions
- Ground elk meat
- Chugwater Chili Gourmet Seasoning Blend (link)
- Tomato sauce
- Pinto Beans
How to Make the Chili
- Sauté the onion and chili seasoning in a pan with olive oil.
- Lower the heat and add the ground elk.
- Break the ground elk up as it cooks. Elk is very lean, so you only need to cook it for about five minutes or so.
- Add the tomato sauce and water and bring the chili to a gentle boil. Add the pinto beans and simmer for another 20 minutes. To serve, ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with your favorite chili toppings.
How to Serve Elk Chili
This venison chili is delicious all on its own, but adding garnishes adds extra flavor and different textures. Here are some ways to garnish your chili:
- Add a dollop of flavored sour cream. Mix our Chugwater Chili Dip and Dressing Mix (link) with sour cream for a boost of flavor.
- Chopped red onion: Raw onions are quite potent, so if you want to soften the flavor of the onions, place them in a bowl, cover them with water and refrigerate the onions for 30 minutes.
- Or, instead of red onions, top your chili with sliced green onions
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over your chili. Cheddar, pepper jack, and Monterey jack are all great choices. Or, try some smoked cheddar cheese.
- Add some heat with some sliced jalapenos.
- For some crunch, add some corn chips or crumbled tortilla chips or our Chugwater Crackers.
Can I Use Other Types of Meat for This Chili?
Yes, you can substitute ground beef, ground pork, and ground turkey in this chili recipe. If the meat you use has more fat (elk is very lean), you may want to drain off the excess grease after you brown the meat.
Can I Make This Chili Ahead?
This chili tastes great the day it’s made, but making it a day in advance allows all of the flavors to develop so it tastes even better the next day!
Leftover chili will keep well in the refrigerator for three to four days. Just keep it in an airtight container. Or freeze your chili for up to four to six months.
What Are Other Ways I Can Use My Chugwater Chili Gourmet Chili Blend?
Besides chili recipes, there are lots of ways to use your gourmet chili blend! Here are a few of our favorite recipes:
We hope you enjoy this venison chili recipe - If you try it, let us know!