This taco stuffed pepper recipe creates a quick and easy meal that is full of flavor. It features an all in one meal that the whole family can enjoy using our chili seasoning mixed with onion, meat, black beans, tomato sauce and cheese. This treat is easy to customize with your favorite taco toppings or add your favorite side dishes to.
Why Stuffed Bell Peppers?
Stuffed bell peppers are a healthy and nutritious way to create an all in one meal. They contain protein in the filling and a vegetable as the outer shell. There are many different types of stuffed peppers. Some contain a meat mixture with rice or oatmeal, some contain vegetable mixtures, and there are many other possibilities. With stuffed peppers you can use any color of bell pepper you like. If you want more heat or a different flavor in the pepper you can always use a poblano or Anaheim peppers.
We have created a wonderful taco filling for our stuffed peppers using our signature chili seasoning to create a festive and delicious treat for your taste buds.
How To Prepare Bell Peppers for Stuffing
There are several ways to prepare your peppers for stuffing. The one used in this recipe is slicing the large bell peppers in half long ways and remove the seeds and inner core while leaving the top stem.
Another way to stuff bell peppers is from the top. For this method you will slice the top off and remove the core and seeds from the pepper.
Preparing the Taco Filling
Chop the 1/2 onion and set aside. If you do not want the onion as noticeable you can do a fine chop or if you do not care do a coarser chop
In a medium pot, brown 1 lb ground beef or turkey. Either meat will work for this recipe and both give you a wonderfully tasty meal. (Another option is getting a rotisserie chicken and shredded the meat off of it. With this you can just add the other ingredients as follows.) Once the meat has browned, add in the diced onion. Cover and let the onion steam with meat for 2-3 minutes.
Now it is time to season the filling. Add 3 Tbs of Chugwater Chili Gourmet Blend and 1/2 tsp Cumin to the browned meat and onion. Make sure to mix well so that the seasoning coats all of the meat and onion. This combination of chili seasoning and cumin gives the taco filling a nice blend to create a flavorful taste.
Add in the tomato sauce and black beans. Stir well.
If you want to substitute the tomato sauce for diced tomatoes you can. To add more to your taco filling you could also add in a ½ cup of corn or diced jalapenos for heat. Now your taco filling is ready to be added to your pepper halves.
Time to Stuff the Peppers
With a small spoon, fill the pepper halves. You want to fill them just above the pepper rim. If you fill them too full, they will overflow when cooking.
Bake the Stuffed Peppers
Place the halves on a baking sheet or in a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for at least 15 minutes or until the peppers start getting tender. Uncover and add 2 cups of cheddar cheese to the tops of the peppers and bake for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
Serving the Stuffed Peppers
You can serve the taco stuffed peppers warm with the following toppings or side dishes.
- Sour Cream
- Salsa (Try out Homemade Fresh Salsa recipe)
- Diced Tomato
- Chopped Cilantro
- Prepared Chugwater Chili Dip
- Sliced Olives
- More Cheese
Side Dishes for Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Spanish Rice
- Sautéed zucchini or yellow squash
- Mixed Vegetables
- Corn Salad with Southwestern Style Dressing
- Rolls or other breads
How to Make a Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper?
To make it vegetarian, substitute squash or sweet potatoes or more peppers instead of the meat. Then add in diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, corn, onion, and the chili seasoning and cumin. You could also add in tofu instead of ground beef or other meat substitutes. Follow the directions above and you can create a tasty taco vegetarian stuffed pepper.
Taco Stuffed Pepper Video-
We hope you enjoy this Taco Stuffed Pepper recipe!!! Here are some other recipes using our chili seasoning that you might also enjoy!!!
Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ large onion
- 2 cups black beans
- 5 large bell peppers any color works
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or fiesta blend
- ½ Tsp Cumin
- 3 Tbs Chugwater Chili Gourmet Blend
How to cook Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Slice the large bell peppers in half long ways. Remove the seeds and inner core. You do not want to remove top stem piece.
- Chop the onion and set aside.
- In a medium pot, brown the ground beef or turkey. Once it is browned add in the diced onion. Cover and let onion steam with meat for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the Chugwater Chili Gourmet Blend and Cumin to the browned meat and onion. Make sure to mix well.
- Add in the tomato sauce and black beans, stir well.
- Spoon the taco meat mixture into the bell pepper halves until the halves are filled.
- Place the halves on a baking sheet or in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until the peppers become tender.
- Uncover and add cheese to the tops of the peppers and bake for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings including sour cream, lettuce, salsa, diced tomatoes and others.
Sat. Fat (grams)7.67
Leave a comment (all fields required)